This hearty zucchini side dish can also become a wonderful light meal served with a green salad. The layers of savory flavors with a hint of sweetness from the corn, make this a well balanced dish. I prefer the yellow zucchini but you could substitute green (about 6 inches long, not including stem).
as a side
- 3 yellow zucchini medium size
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 cup onions finely chopped
- 1 cup corn
- 1 tomato cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese grated
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- Wash and cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise. Using a small spoon, scoop out and discard pulp from each half leaving sturdy walls around the edges. Over medium heat in a pan, add the oil and sauté the onions till golden brown (about 5 minutes), reduce heat and add garlic, corn and tomato. Cook for a further two minutes.
- Place mixture in a bowl and add the ricotta, Gruyere, parsley, celery seed, egg, salt, pepper. Stir gently till incorporated.
- In a pan or casserole dish, place the six zucchini boats. Fill each boat with enough of the ricotta mixture that it mounds slightly but doesn't spill over the edges of the zucchini. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake the zucchini till it is soft and tops are lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
Preheat 375F oven